Monday, October 20, 2008

Crema de la Crema


I know it's getting a little cold for this (okay, I started writing this post five months ago), but since the beginning of the summer, homemade ice cream has been my latest obsession (second only to the Blackberry, and now, Facebook). I've made two flavors -- caramelized banana-cardamom and orange dulce de leche. I've read a lot of recipes, articles about ice cream makers, and have fantasized about the various obscure concoctions I could create. Of course, I won't be making vanilla. The more unusual the flavor, the better. Avocado, check. Muhallabia, courtesy of the Moosewood Cookbook, check. The White Mountain electric ice cream maker I picked up at a yard sale two years ago has churned up amazingly creamy stuff. It's ridiculously loud and somewhat messy, but for five bucks, it was a pretty good deal. The dulce de leche, which I made last weekend, had my dad and brother planning a new career in artisanal ice cream for me.

If you, too, would like to join in the ice cream obsession, here's an interesting article to get you started: http://www.slate.com/id/2121378/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What about creating a flavor called "BlackBerry"? That way you could honor both obsessions at once...